Saturday, July 28, 2012

YOGA

I have been practicing yoga on and off for the last seven years. I first got into hot yoga my sophomore year of high school when my friend Sam (a fellow athlete) encouraged me to try it out with him, he said it was a great workout. He wasn't lying and as I left the world of competitive sports behind in high school, yoga slowly became my favorite and sometimes only form of exercise. 

My sophomore year of college Carey, my roommate, Big, one of my best friends and female role models, was a yoga instructor. Ever since taking her classes sophomore year, and watching her own practice deepen with time, I have been dying to become a yoga instructor myself. Unfortunately for me the teacher training is incredibly time consuming and expensive at Corepower where I usually practiced hot yoga in San Diego. 

Luckily for me the world works in mysterious ways and gives you what you need not what you want. Since coming here I have gotten back on the yoga kick, practicing daily again after having to take a hiatus most of this past year because of my busy schedule and lack of excess funds. Turns out everyone I work with wants to learn yoga, especially the kids. The last two days I have spent visiting the schools Navsarjan runs to teach the kids about pollution and yoga. 
Below are some photos of my beautiful students in the yoga classes I taught. 



The pose above is called Crow pose and it took me six years to learn how to do. 





Teaching these students about yoga, something I truly love, have spent a lot of time on, and think everyone can benefit from... is honestly a dream come true. Its quite comical actually, me the American teaching all these Indians about yoga... when India is the birth place of yoga.

But I strongly encourage anyone whose looking for a new form of exercise or a way to relax to take a yoga class. Yoga has been a godsend in my life, helping me stay fit and mentally sane during my most stressful moments. Yoga is more then just a form of exercise it is a way of life. It is about bringing your mind, body, and spirit into alignment so that you can live a balanced and rewarding life. 

I know yoga will be a part of my life from now on, and I honestly cannot wait to continue deepening my own practice and learning more about this wonderful ancient practice. 

NAMASTE

No comments:

Post a Comment